by Ken C
We spent a wonderful week in March with two other couples at Villa Al Mare, an exquisite seaside property in Taormina. It was absolutely the most beautiful place we could possibly imagine – beyond our highest expectations!
We loved this place because . . .??
- There were no worries. We took a transfer from Catania Airport and checked in at Hotel Villa Carlotta, the owner’s signature property. Our butler took us to Villa Al Mare and explained everything to us and gave his cell number. He asked us what time we’d want him to come by for cleaning, i.e., 11 am if we sleep late. He offered exceptional service and we all felt very secure knowing that he was always available to take care of us.
- This is a very special villa with gorgeous furnishings and every amenity you can think of. Everything was spotless.
- OMG – we knew we were on vacation as soon as we saw the the stunning sea views with Isola Bella beach – absolutely gorgeous – breathtaking. My wife said, “pinch me, is this real!”
- There is a fully equipped kitchen where we prepared delicious breakfasts on the panoramic deck! What a joy to be here. We also chilled out on the rooftop deck and loved the Jacuzzi – a fabulous place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine and cheese after a day of sight seeing. It doesn’t get any better than this!
- Convenience. We could be on our own or use all the services of Hotel Villa Carlotta, a 5-minute drive where we enjoyed their pool, dining facilities, cooking class, and concierge services for dinner reservations, Greek Theatre, and wine tastings on Mount Etna. This was a huge plus for everyone in our group. Also, our villa was only a 7 minute walk to Isola Bella Beach and next door to Villa Antonio, a fabulous restaurant. We were central to everything.
This was the first time that we vacationed together as a group and we were absolutely delighted with the outcome. The expression, “Life is Good” is apropos because we had the best time of our life and would highly recommend Villa Al Mare. It was an amazing, memorable experience and we can’t wait to come back!
by Gail P.
First: Villa al Mare is beautiful. Extraordinarily beautiful. The property (a medieval palazzo), interior design, views…all absolutely stunning. The location is dreamy, with breathtaking views overlooking the sea. A lovely five-minute walk leads to the beach at Isola Bella (a more charming Mediterranean beach is hard to imagine). The town, Taormina, is a five-minute stroll from Villa Carlotta (Villa al Mare’s nearby parent property). Taormina is nothing short of magical, full of history, terrific restaurants, shops and Sicilian charm.
Exceptional TLC went into the restoration of Villa al Mare. The interior design exudes inspired taste and style in everything from furnishings and art to bed linens and shower amenities. Attention to creature comforts is outstanding, including too many sweet details to begin to recount here. In sum: unsurpassed luxury and comfort.
The best part: At Villa al Mare, guests get to have it both ways. You have your own private self-catered villa, while never feeling left to fend for yourselves in an unfamiliar environment. Villa al Mare’s association with Villa Carlotta (one of Taormina’s top hotels) made our stay profoundly different from previous stays in other European self-catered properties. Here we had every advantage of Villa Carlotta’s offerings – the pool, the restaurant, the staff, etc. – all just an easy five-minute drive away. Meanwhile, while ensconced at Villa al Mare, we were never more than a phone call away from expert assistance offered by the most hospitable hotel professionals we have ever encountered.
If this all sounds like “lifestyles of the rich and famous,” well, it is – but only in part. Keep this in mind: The cost here need not be a deterrent. Villa al Mare sleeps eight guests. Sharing it with even just one other couple, as we did, makes the price remarkably reasonable, and the value – our primary criteria when booking lodgings – cannot be beat.
We travel extensively and have stayed in numerous memorable properties over the years. To date, no place has ever topped Villa al Mare. In closing, I must state what I imagine by now is obvious: The only negative part of the experience was checking out. Having found what felt like our new home in Paradise, it was all we could do to tear ourselves away. We’re going back as soon as we can, and meanwhile, we can’t recommend it highly enough!
by Karen B
My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at Villa al Mare, Taormina in October. The Villa deserves more than 5 stars. The owner have perfected every detail from the chic furnishings to the fine linens, gorgeous artwork and elegant interiors with every amenity one could ask for. Villa al Mare has beautiful grounds with wonderful balconies and a rooftop terrace with magnificent sweeping views of Isola Bella and the Mediterranean Sea. Many mornings during our stay we spent out on the terrace reading and enjoying the jacuzzi. We liked the wifi service and my husband enjoyed the espresso machine!! We also enjoyed that the location of the Villa is an easy stroll to the beach and all of the activities, such as exploring Isola Bella, taking a boat ride and fishing as the sun was setting. And of course there is nothing like walking around the main center in Taormina with all the restaurants, shopping and seeing the Ancient Greek Theater. We can’t say enough of our magical experience and look forward to returning to our dream villa, Villa al Mare.
by Laurence W.
This villa exceeded our greatest expectations. From the first view of the sea that left us speechless, to the chic Italian decor this was a home away from home. Sunrise with a hot cappuccino relaxing in the ocean air. We cooked and had wonderful dinners on the veranda. Then there was Taormina the most beautiful town in all of Italy. Staying with another couple it is perfect and it makes it one of the most inexpensive places we stayed. The location, the decor, the views and all the wonderful help from the staff made this a trip to remember and we will be back soon. Thanks Andrea for creating this gem.
by Joz London
A breathtaking Villa with a perfect view of the incredible Isola Bella. 5 minutes from the centre of Taormina and 5 minutes from the beach. We are a family of 5, our children were on their best behaviour as this property really is the height of luxury – the Villa would also suit 3 couples. Lots of luxury space, a rooftop jacuzzi and open access to the wonderful Hotel Carlotta and their excellent restaurant – this really was a wonderful week in Sicily despite the odd April shower and a perfect place to celebrate my wife’s 50th birthday.